- The Importance of Symbolism or Icons
- Religious Information, Meaning and Definition of Bestiary
- Bestiary Religious symbols and Bible Reference
- Symbolism and early religious meaning in a Bestiary
- Religious Christian Symbolism
- Ancient history, biblical meanings
- Facts, Information, Meanings and Definitions about a Bestiary
Christian Symbolism in a Bestiary
A Bestiary was a medieval book (usually illustrated) with allegorical descriptions of real and fabled animals. These descriptions, which included a description of various birds and animals, were often full of symbolism and contained a moral or religious lesson or allegory. A Bestiary reflected the belief that the world itself was the Word of God, and that every living creature had its own special meaning.
The 12th Century Bestiary
Bestiaries were extremely popular in England during the 12th century and were often compilations taken from even earlier texts dating back to the second century, which summarized ancient knowledge and wisdom about animals together with religious, Christian symbolism.