The Lordís Supper
The Lordís Supper is symbolized by a chalice of wine with the bread rising above it. The bread is referred to as the host and is a thin, round wafer made from bread and used for Holy Communion. The host usually has the letters I.N.R.I. on it which is an acronym of the Latin phrase IESVS∑NAZARENVS∑REX∑IVD∆ORVM, which translates to English as: "Jesus the Nazarene, King of the Jews". It also has rays coming from it, symbolizing that the Real Presence of Christ is in the host.
Reference to the Bread And Wine in the Bible
The Easton Bible Dictionary provides the following definition, meaning and emblem for the Bread And Wine in the Bible. The word bread is used figuratively in such expressions as "bread of sorrows" (Ps. 127:2), "bread of tears" (80:5), i.e., sorrow and tears are like one's daily bread, they form so great a part in life. The bread of "wickedness" (Prov. 4:17) and "of deceit" (20:17) denote in like manner that wickedness and deceit are a part of the daily life. Our Lord miraculously supplied wine at the marriage feast in Cana of Galilee (John 2:1-11).
The definition and the meaning of Symbols or Icon in early religious art forms. A Catholic sign or icon, such as the Bread And Wine, is an object, character, figure, or color used to represent abstract ideas or concepts - a picture that represents an idea. A religious icon, such as the Wine, is an image or symbolic representation with sacred significance. The meanings, origins and ancient traditions surrounding Christian symbols date back to early times when the majority of ordinary people were not able to read or write and printing was unknown. Many were 'borrowed' or drawn from early pre-Christian traditions.
Bread And Wine
- The Importance of Catholic Symbolism or Icons in Religious Art
- Religious Information, Meaning and Definition of the Bread and Wine in Christian Symbolism
- Bread And Wine Religious symbol and Bible Reference
- Symbolism and early religious meaning in art of the Bread And Wine
- Ancient history, biblical meanings and practices of the church
- Facts, Information, Meanings and Definitions about symbols
- Religious Christian Symbolism - Bread and Wine
- Significance and representations of the Bread And Wine symbol