Flags or banners were used to
emphasise that God was on the side
of the Christian flag holder, such a
flag, or banner was used during the
Battle of Hastings in 1066 when a
flag was blessed by the Pope for the
invasion of England and was sent to
William the Conqueror as a sign that
his intended invasion was in the
Cause of God, a Holy War, a Crusade.
The Christian Flag
The Christian Flag we know today is a relatively late design. It was developed on September 26, 1897 at Brighton Chapel, Staten Island, by Sunday school superintendent called Charles C. Overton to represent the Christian faith. The cross on the flag is a widely recognized symbol of Christianity.
The Christian Flag
The colors chosen for the Christian Flag are highly symbolic.
- The White background symbolises purity, innocence and peace
- The Red Cross symbolises the blood shed by Jesus
- The blue background to the red cross symbolises sincerity and faithfulness unto death
Reference to a Christian Flag in the Bible
The Easton Bible Dictionary provides the following definitions, meaning and emblem for a Flag Christian Symbol in the Bible.
(1.) The flag or banner of the larger kind, serving for three tribes marching together. These standards, of which there were four, were worked with embroidery and beautifully ornamented (Num. 1:52; 2:2, 3, 10, 18, 25; Cant. 2:4; 6:4, 10).
(2.) The flag borne by each separate tribe, of a smaller form. Probably it bore on it the name of the tribe to which it belonged, or some distinguishing device (Num. 2:2,34).
(3.) A lofty signal-flag, not carried about, but stationary. It was usually erected on a mountain or other lofty place. As soon as it was seen the war-trumpets were blown (Ps. 60:4; Isa. 5:26; 11:12; 13:2; 18:3; 30:17; Jer. 4:6 21; Ezek. 27:7).
The definition and the meaning of Symbols or Icon in early religious art forms. A Catholic sign or icon, such as the Christian Flag, is an object, character, figure, or color used to represent abstract ideas or concepts - a picture that represents an idea. A religious icon, such as the Christian Flag, is an image or symbolic representation with sacred significance. The meanings, origins and ancient traditions surrounding Christian symbols date back to early times when the majority of ordinary people were not able to read or write and printing was unknown. Many were 'borrowed' or drawn from early pre-Christian traditions.
- The Importance of Catholic Symbolism or Icons
- Religious Information, Meaning and Definition of the Christian Flag
- Flag - Religious symbol and Bible Reference
- Symbolism and early religious meaning in art of the Christian Flag
- Ancient history, biblical meanings and practices of the church
- Facts, Information, Meanings and Definitions about symbols
- Religious Symbolism
- Significance and representations of the Christian Flag symbol