A bright ring represented in painting as surrounding the heads of saints and the whole bodies of other holy persons. Also referred to as an aura, corona, gloriole, glory, aureole or nimbus. The halo conveys the concept of transcendence of the physical body.
The Halo and the Circle
The halo is also connected to the Circle as a Christian Symbol symbolises eternity as it has no beginning or end. Many early Christians believed that there was something divine in circles. Early Astronomy and astrology was connected to the divine by most medieval scholars, the circular shape of the sun, moon and the planets were related to God's act of Creation. The luminous circle, usually prismatically colored, round the sun or moon are connected with halos.
Halo Christian Symbol
- The Importance of Catholic Symbolism or Icons in Religious Art
- Religious Information, Meaning and Definition of the Halo Catholic Art Symbolism
- Halo Christian and Religious symbolism with Bible References
- Symbolism and early religious meaning in art of the Halo Christian Symbol
- Ancient history, biblical meanings and practices of the church
- Facts, Information, Meanings and Definitions about symbols
- Religious Christian Symbolism
- Significance and representations of the Halo Christian Symbolism