The Definition and Meaning of the Kiss as a Catholic Christian Symbol
Catholic Christian symbolism in art provides a clear graphic illustration which represents people or items of religious significance. What is the definition and the meaning of the Kiss? To salute with the lips, as a mark of affection, reverence, submission, forgiveness, etc. Christians kissed each other during prayer, Eucharist, baptism, and ordination and in connection with greeting, funerals, monastic vows, and martyrdom.
The Kiss of Judas
Judas was one of the twelve original apostles of Jesus and the treasurer of the disciples. Judas betrayed Jesus with a kiss and received thirty pieces of silver for it and then, guilt ridden, he hung himself. This deed of Judas is sometimes symbolised with coins and rope however, the church gave him no official symbol.
Luke 47: While He was still speaking, behold, a crowd came, and the one called Judas, one of the twelve, was preceding them; and he approached Jesus to kiss Him. 48 But Jesus said to him, “Judas, are you betraying the Son of Man with a kiss?”
Reference to the Kiss Christian Symbol in the Bible
The Easton Bible Dictionary provides the following definition, meaning and emblem for the Kiss Christian Symbol in the Bible. The Kiss was the sign of the following:
Of affection (Gen. 27:26, 27; 29:13; Luke 7:38, 45)
Of reconciliation (Gen. 33:4; 2 Sam. 14:33)
Of leave-taking (Gen. 31:28,55; Ruth 1:14; 2 Sam. 19:39)
Of homage (Ps. 2:12; 1 Sam. 10:1); spoken of as between parents and children (Gen. 27:26; 31:28, 55; 48:10; 50:1; Ex. 18:7; Ruth 1:9, 14)
Between male relatives (Gen. 29:13; 33:4; 45:15). It accompanied social worship as a symbol of brotherly love (Rom. 16:16; 1 Cor. 16:20; 2 Cor. 13:12; 1 Thess. 5:26; 1 Pet. 5:14).
Kiss Christian Symbol
- The Importance of Catholic Symbolism or Icons in Religious Art
- Religious Information, Meaning and Definition of the Kiss Catholic Art Symbolism
- Kiss Religious symbolism with Bible References
- Symbolism and early religious meaning in art of the Kiss Symbol
- Ancient history, biblical meanings and practices of the church
- Facts, Information, Meanings and Definitions about symbols
- Religious Christian Symbolism - the Judas Kiss
- Significance and representations of the Kiss Symbolism