The Peacock Christian Symbol represents eternal life and the Resurrection because it sheds its old feathers each year and grows new ones. The peacock is also used as a symbol of vanity because of its beauty and the way it displays his feathers.
Reference to the Peacock Christian Symbol in the Bible
The Easton Bible Dictionary provides the following definition, meaning and emblem for the Peacock Christian Symbol in the Bible.
The Peacock: (Heb. tuk, apparently borrowed from the Tamil tokei). This bird is indigenous to India. It was brought to Solomon by his ships from Tarshish (1 Kings 10:22; 2 Chr. 9:21), which in this case was probably a district on the Malabar coast of India, or in Ceylon. The word so rendered in Job 39:13 literally means wild, tumultuous crying, and properly denotes the female ostrich (q.v.).
The definition and the meaning of Symbols or Icon in early religious art forms. A Catholic sign or icon, such as the Peacock Christian Symbol, is an object, character, figure, or color used to represent abstract ideas or concepts - a picture that represents an idea. A religious icon, such as the Peacock Christian Symbol, is an image or symbolic representation with sacred significance. The meanings, origins and ancient traditions surrounding Christian symbols date back to early times when the majority of ordinary people were not able to read or write and printing was unknown. Many were 'borrowed' or drawn from early pre-Christian traditions.
Peacock Christian Symbol
- The Importance of Catholic Symbolism or Icons in Religious Art - the peacock
- Religious Information, Meaning and Definition of the Peacock Catholic Art Symbolism
- Peacock Christian and Religious symbolism with Bible References
- Symbolism and early religious meaning in art of the Peacock Christian Symbol
- Ancient history, biblical meanings and practices of the church
- Facts, Information, Meanings and Definitions about symbols
- Religious Christian Symbolism - the peacock
- Significance and representations of the Peacock Christian Symbolism